Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Little Indian for a Change

Meet June. She's one of my newest expat friends, just moved to Copenhagen two months ago. She's funny. Go read her blog. Don't walk, run.

June and I sometimes meet up for coffee, with other expats. Like today. And still unsure of her new hometown, I always offer to drive. So to speak.



And after said coffee, we took a little walk around town, before heading back to her place for a chai. What else. Never had chai with fresh ginger before, but I can assure you, that's the only way I can drink it from now on. June also bestowed upon me a package of real Indian curry, with the words, "go home, and throw everything else you have out". Good thing one of my spice jars was recently emptied, and just screaming for new spices.

This gift of spice coincided with the fact that I am drowning in carrots. I get a box of seasonal Danish veggies every week from Aarstiderne. Enough with the carrots! In desperation, I chopped them (all 6lbs of them), boiling them in broth until they could be blended. Now I've had this "carrot base" in the fridge for a few days, alternately serving it as soup, or adding it as a thickener to stir fry.

My repertoire opened up even further today, and I made a lovely Carrot Daal using the eponymous June curry. Quite a success with the youngsters I might add, it was a lovely, mild curry enlightened by the sweetness of the carrots and a touch of coconut milk.

Not much to it really:

5 cups of carrot base (carrots boiled in broth, puréed)
1/2 cup dried green lentils
2 tsp. curry powder
1 small can of coconut milk
salt to taste

Let all the ingredients gently bubble together, until the lentils are tender. At the very end, throw a handful of frozen peas in, for the texture and color. When they're cooked through, serve over rice. Lovely.

4 comments:

June said...

The little Indian's chubby face could feed the family of four for weeks!

I plan to use your carrot puree recipe for a base. I usually use pureed boiled onions. I think carrot will taste better and offer more nutrition.

Jennie said...

I meant to sneak a few onions in there, but forgot! The pure carrot taste was nice. And they're organic too, so veeery good for you ;-)

Haha, just realized now that the title looks like it alludes to you - it's the food! Should I change it? On second hand, it's funny...and true ;-) Thanks for a fun day yesterday, glad you got to meet the babies!

the writer said...

Wow. that looks nice and I bet it tastes yummy too. Maybe I should find apartment in Østerbro when I move back to DK *evil grin*

Jennie said...

Yeah! Preferably right between June's and my place, right?! :-P